When things in your life seem, almost too much to handle,
When 24 Hours in a day is not enough,
Remember the mayonnaise jar and 2 cups of coffee.
A professor stood before his philosophy class and had some items in front of him.
When the class began, wordlessly, he picked up a very large and empty mayonnaise jar and proceeded to fill it with golf balls.
He then asked the students if the jar was full.
They agreed that it was.
The professor then picked up a box of pebbles and poured
them into the jar. He shook the jar lightly.
The pebbles rolled into the open areas between the golf balls.
He then asked the students again if the jar was full.
They agreed it was.
The professor next picked up a box of sand and poured it into the jar.
Of course, the sand filled up everything else. He asked once more if the jar was full. The students responded with a unanimous ‘yes.’
The professor then produced two cups of coffee from under the table and poured the entire contents into the jar, effectively filling the empty space between the sand. The students laughed.
‘Now,’ said the professor, as the laughter subsided, ‘I want you to recognize that this jar represents your life.’
The golf balls are the important things - family,
children, health, Friends, and Favorite passions –
Things that if everything else was lost and only they remained, your life would still be full.
The pebbles are the other things that matter like your job, house, and car.
The sand is everything else —The small stuff.
‘If you put the sand into the jar first,’ He continued, ‘there is no room for the pebbles or the golf balls.’
The same goes for life.
If you spend all your time and energy on the small stuff, you will never have room for the things that are important to you.
Pay attention to the things that are critical to your happiness.
Play with your children.
Take time to get medical checkups.
Take your partner out to dinner.
There will always be time to clean the house and fix the disposal.
‘Take care of the golf balls first —
The things that really matter.
Set your priorities. The rest is just sand.’
One of the students raised her hand and inquired what the coffee represented.
The professor smiled, ‘I’m glad you asked’, he said.
‘It just goes to show you that no matter how full your life may seem,
There’s always room for a couple of cups of coffee with a friend.’
Perfection. Philosophy for the win.
Bless this man.
everyone should read this
This is just too beautiful, I am seriously crying
- walrusqueen reblogged this from radical-self-love-project
- tydyexplosion likes this
- addizon reblogged this from reaganismm
- manamanadodoodadodoo reblogged this from elfafire7
- wickedlittlelust likes this
- reaganismm reblogged this from voidwiththingsunreal
- littlesttrainwreck likes this
- perpetualmisconception likes this
- perpetualmisconception reblogged this from elfafire7
- welcome-its-here reblogged this from voidwiththingsunreal
- welcome-its-here likes this
- voidwiththingsunreal reblogged this from looking-for-tomorrow
- drop-everyfear reblogged this from goodsouls
- goodsouls reblogged this from magick-al
- magick-al reblogged this from itwasadarkandsassynight
- elfafire7 reblogged this from the-tennant-obsession
- elfafire7 likes this
- angercats likes this
- the-tennant-obsession reblogged this from parkourzebra
- puppums likes this
- puppums reblogged this from fuddle
- sydly96 likes this
- desperatelywantstobeanelf likes this
- fandom-fermenter reblogged this from parkourzebra
- justbeinglogan reblogged this from carryonmywaywarddetective
- rhsclarinetforlife reblogged this from parkourzebra
- rhsclarinetforlife likes this
- the-tennant-obsession likes this
- carryonmywaywarddetective reblogged this from parkourzebra
- parkourzebra reblogged this from closed-legs-opened-doors
- closed-legs-opened-doors reblogged this from enenkay
- closed-legs-opened-doors likes this
- yourscrazily likes this
- enteyex367 likes this
- sheiskafkaesque likes this
- korvuskrux reblogged this from paws-bells
- andthestarsaregone reblogged this from weweremadeforeachothersherlock
- sanjixlover likes this
- sanjixlover reblogged this from thequeenoffish
- andie-7 reblogged this from fleeting-halcyon
- imadethisinanapplestore likes this
- dontdropthosebabies reblogged this from excessunrated
- sharoontheraccoontyphoon likes this
- thequeenoffish likes this
- thequeenoffish reblogged this from mr-senchou
- alcatrazzie reblogged this from mr-senchou
- idgacgirl likes this
- mollikia likes this
- fiamontague likes this
- this-is-war-and-patrick likes this